Thursday, December 2, 2010

Robin Hood: An Understudy's Experience

Ensemble Member Deborah Craft paints a picture of what it was like to go on stage for another actor over Thanksgiving weekend.

Last weekend I had the stressful joy of going up on stage in the roles held by ensemble member Amy Gorelow. You’ll notice that last weekend was indeed Thanksgiving weekend and Amy, being from Atlanta, was away with family – like you do – to celebrate the holiday properly. I was also with family, but they’re in the area, so it all worked out that I was able to go up on stage to play around with this gaggle of goofy performers.

Being an understudy is an experience unlike any other in the theatre. Understudies don’t have the same rehearsal experience the regular actors do and need to pick up what they can on the fly in a way. For me, it’s a stressful position, but also one with the strongest adrenaline kick. It’s steps away from being an actor’s nightmare at all times: it’s kind of thrilling and totally intimidating.

So on Tuesday of last week the cast was called in for a put-in – where I was able to walk the blocking (stage movement) with the other actors and get a feel for speaking my lines against the other actors. I was also in costume for this rehearsal. Amy plays 4 different people in Robin Hood and some of those changes she and Vanessa Hughes have are as fast as any I’ve experienced.

It wasn’t just a rehearsal of the on stage work, but the back stage work too. Every actor in a Piccolo Panto works backstage just as hard as they work on stage handing off props, helping with quick changes, and turning flats in scene changes. The behind the scenes work is as choreographed and blocked as the on stage work, believe me. The rehearsal went well so it was left until Friday – in front of an audience – to see if I really knew the part(s).

I got to the theatre dressing room on Friday and the rest of the cast also started streaming in as usual. Vanessa and I started running lines as we put on our makeup and Ben joined in as well to help remind me that I knew what I was doing. I got into costume, handed off my quick change cheat sheet to Sarah, the ASM (Assistant Stage Manager) to tape to the wall backstage (there’s lots of little cheat sheets on the walls at Piccolo during a Panto – next time you’re there, see if you can spot them!), and at the places call went upstairs to wait my turn.

The next two hours went by in a blur. I went on stage and played to my heart’s content. I have to give credit to Vanessa and the whole cast of Robin Hood for making it all feel so relaxed and easy. If I was in the wrong spot on stage I was gently nudged, if I forgot a line (and I did!) my scene partners picked it up and kept the scene moving. Exhilirating. Scary. Stressful. And absolutely fantastic.

I was schmootzed in the face with whipped cream for the first time, I was the head of a cow for the first time, and I lived and breathed the energy of the audience. Thank you for allowing me to play!

No comments: